–Civil Engineering (CE)–
–Civil Engineering (CE)–
Candidate qualifying for GATE Exam 2022/2023 in Civil Engineering stream, can secure an admission in IITs/IISc and explore career opportunity in PSU Jobs. Aspirants of Gate Civil i.e. those who are appearing for GATE 2023 Civil Engineering Exam, are required to understand syllabus thoroughly before starting preparation.
- algebra; Systems of linear equations; Eigen values and Eigen vectors.
- Functions of single variable; Limit, continuity and differentiability; Mean value theorems, local
Numerical Methods: Error analysis
- Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations, Newton’s and Lagrange
Partial Differential Equation (PDE)
- Fourier series; separation of variables; solutions of one- dimensional diffusion equation; first and
Probability and Statistics
- Sampling theorems; Conditional probability; Descriptive statistics – Mean, median, mode and
Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE)
- First order (linear and non-linear) equations;
- System of forces, free-body diagrams, equilibrium equations; Internal forces in structures;
- Bending moment and shear force in statically determinate beams; Simple stress and strain
- Statically determinate and indeterminate structures by force/ energy methods; Method of
Construction Materials and Management
- Construction Materials: Structural Steel –
- Working stress and Limit state design concepts; Design of beams, slabs,columns; Bond and
- Working stress and Limit state design concepts; Design of tension and compression members,
- Three-phase system and phase relationships, index properties; Unified and Indian standard soil classification system; Permeability – one dimensional flow, Seepage through soils – two – dimensional flow, flow nets, uplift pressure, piping, capillarity, seepage force; Principle of effective stress and quicksand condition; Compaction of soils; One- dimensional consolidation, time rate of consolidation; Shear Strength,
- Sub-surface investigations – Drilling bore holes, sampling, plate load test, standard penetration and cone penetration tests; Earth pressure theories – Rankine and Coulomb; Stability of slopes – Finite and infinite slopes, Bishop’s method; Stress distribution in soils – Boussinesq’s theory; Pressure bulbs, Shallow foundations – Terzaghi’s and Meyerhoff’s bearing capacity theories, effect of water table;
Water Resources Engineering
- Properties of fluids, fluid statics; Continuity, momentum and energy equations and their applications; Potential flow, Laminar and turbulent flow; Flow in pipes, pipe
- Forces on immersed bodies; Flow measurement in channels and pipes; Dimensional analysis and hydraulic similitude; Channel Hydraulics – Energy-depth
- Hydrologic cycle, precipitation, evaporation, evapo-transpiration, watershed, infiltration, unit hydrographs, hydrograph analysis, reservoir capacity, flood
- Types of irrigation systems and methods; Crop water requirements – Duty, delta, evapo-transpiration; Gravity Dams and Spillways; Lined and unlined canals, Design
Water and Waste Water Quality and Treatment
- Basics of water quality standards- Physical,
- Types of pollutants, their sources and impacts, air pollution control, air quality standards, Air quality
Municipal Solid Wastes
- Characteristics, generation, collection and transportation of solid wastes, engineered
- Geometric design of highways – cross-sectional elements, sight distances, horizontal and vertical alignments.Geometric design of railway Track –
- Highway materials – desirable properties and tests; Desirable properties of bituminous paving mixes; Design factors for flexible and rigid
- Traffic studies on flow and speed, peak hour factor, accident study, statistical analysis of traffic data; Microscopic and macroscopic parameters of traffic
- Principles of surveying; Errors and their adjustment; Maps – scale, coordinate system; Distance and angle measurement – Levelling and trigonometric levelling; Traversing and triangulation survey; Total station; Horizontal and vertical curves. Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing – Scale, flying height; Basics of remote sensing and GIS.
Change in syllabus 2022
|Removed topic||Added topic||Removed topic||Added topic|
|Linear Algebra: NA||Linear Algebra: NA||Calculus: Maclaurin series; Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.||Calculus:NA|
|Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE): Laplace transform and its application in solving Partial Differential Equation (PDE): NA||Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE):NAPartial Differential Equation (PDE): NA||Probability and Statistics: Binomial distributions; exponential distributions;||Probability and Statistics: Discrete and Poisson and Normal Distribution; Linear regression.|
|Numerical Methods: NA||Numerical Methods: Error analysis. NA||Engineering Mechanics: Kinematics of point mass and rigid body; Euler’s equations of motion; Impulse-momentum; Energy methods; Principles of virtual work.||Engineering Mechanics:Free Vibrations of undamped SDOF system.
|Solid Mechanics: Theories of failures;||Solid Mechanics: NA||Structural Analysis: NA||Structural Analysis: NA|
|Construction Materials and Management: Bricks and mortar; Timber; Bitumen.
Tendering and construction contracts; Rate analysis and standard specifications;
|Construction Materials and Management: NA||Concrete Structures: Ultimate load design concepts; Analysis of beam sections at transfer and service loads.||Concrete Structures: NA|
|Steel Structures: NA||Steel Structures: NA||Soil Mechanics: Origin of soils, soil structure and fabric, Darcy’s law; Principle of capillarity, seepage force,||Soil Mechanics: NA|
|Foundation Engineering: method of slices, westergard’s theories
|Foundation Engineering:, pile under lateral loading, pile group efficiency,||Fluid Mechanics: NA||Fluid Mechanics: Concept of lift and drag.|
|Hydraulics: Kinematics of flow, velocity triangles; Basics of hydraulic machines, specific speed of pumps and turbines;||Hydraulics: NA||Hydrology NA||Hydrology: NA|
|Irrigation: head works Water logging and drainage; Canal regulatory works, outlets and escapes.||Irrigation: NA||Environmental Engineering
Water and Waste Water: NA
Air Pollution: Air pollution mertrology
Municipal Solid Wastes: NA
Noise Pollution: Impacts of noise, permissible limits of noise pollution, measurement of noise and control of noise pollution.
Water and Waste Water Quality and Treatment: Reuse of treated sewage for different application
Air Pollution: Air quality Index and limits.
Municipal Solid Wastes: NA
Transportation Infrastructure: Highway alignment and engineering surveys;
Highway Pavements: Design of bituminous paving mixesDistresses in concrete pavements.
Traffic Engineering: travel time – delay and O-D study, PCU, parking study, Control devices, Types of channelization; level of service of rural highways and urban roads.
Transportation Infrastructure: NA
Highway Pavements: NA
Traffic Engineering: NA
|Section 7: Geomatics Engineering
Remote sensing – platform and sensors, visual image interpretation; Basic of Geographical Positioning system (GPS).
|Geomatics Engineering: NA|