Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering –GATE Exam 2023
About GATE 2023
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) exam is an examination which is conducted by seven Indian institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee), IISc on behalf of National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. Every year one of the 7 IITs conducts the GATE Exam.
Which IIT will organize GATE 2023 Exam?
GATE 2023 Exam will be conducted by IIT Kanpur.
Brief About GATE 2023 Exam
GATE Exam 2023, will be by IIT Kanpur. IIT K will release official GATE 2023 notification in month of September, 2022 along with GATE Exam Date, GATE Eligibility, GATE Exam Pattern, and GATE Updated Syllabus.
The GATE 2023 will be held tentatively in the First week of February across various cities. GATE Exam is conducted at national level and roughly 9 Lakh candidates appear for this GATE Exam every year. A simple preparation strategy may not be sufficient, one needs to work smarter to crack GATE 2023 Exam. GATE Score carries a high weightage because all prominent institutes enrolling students, consider GATE Score for their admission process and same is applicable for PSUs (Public Sector Undertakings) process. The GATE 2023 examination is also conducted outside India in countries like Nepal, Singapore, UAE etc. The GATE 2023 examination is a Computer Based Test (CBT).
Critical factors to be considered for getting success in a GATE 2023
What differentiates a person who aced a competitive exam from a person who failed?
In this article, we bring you a few critical factors which achievers have. It is important to note that competitive exams are different from regular college and school exams. Let us see why it is so before jumping into the critical factors.
Lesson one: In a competitive exam the benchmark is always other; preparation is relative.
Two men are walking through a forest. Suddenly, they see a tiger in the distance, running towards them. They turn and start running away. But then one of them stops, takes some running shoes from his bag, and starts putting them on.
“What are you doing?” says the other man. “Do you think you will run faster than the tiger with those?”
“I don’t have to run faster than the tiger,” he says. “I just have to run faster than you.”
Hence, instead of preparing anything and everything, your preparation should only be more than that of your competitors.
Lesson Two: Narrow your focus.
School and Higher education are to gather knowledge and wisdom; however, in the competitive exam preparation your focus shall narrow down to securing more marks (than others). Sometimes, it’s best to just mug up some figures and words without knowing the purpose – do it just to get an edge over others.
Previous year question papers and syllabus are the best resources for filtering out the important topics.
With the above fundamentals in mind, let’s look at the critical factors:
Start with full pace, be consistent:
Plan a daily, weekly and monthly target of the syllabus to be covered. Be consistent in meeting the targets in the desired timeframe.
Tip: You can be consistent only if you set realistic timelines and tasks; don’t overburden yourself. If you do not start with full energy and definitive timelines, in a few months you will be fatigued.
Practice makes you perfect:
Regular practice of the exam questions is a must. If the exam is descriptive, practice by writing answers as you write in exams. If the exam is based on MCQs, then practice Mock Tests. Do all practice in a time-bound manner. If the exams happen in a computerized environment, go for online mocks.
Eat that frog:
“If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it First Thing in the Morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the BIGGEST one first.” — Mark Twain.
Author Mark Twain, famously said that if you eat a live frog early in the day, you can go through the rest of the day knowing the worst is behind you. The frog is like your worst/most difficult task, and you should do it first thing in the morning. Do the tougher task early in the day when your mind is fresh and energy level is high.
Two aspects here:
Firstly be confident in yourself. You will go through cycles of crests and troughs in confidence while preparing, but don’t be overwhelmed by such emotions.
Secondly, be confident in your knowledge. You may not know everything, but be thorough in whatever you read.
Be accurate before being fast:
There can be nothing worse than getting an easy problem wrong, which others get right, just because you made a silly mistake while being too fast. Students try to be quick while solving problems, resulting in low accuracy during mock exams and hence feel demotivated. Remember, always focus on accuracy first, with due practice your speed automatically increases. Shift your focus on increasing speed after you have achieved consistently high accuracy(80% and above).
Smart work is the Key:
Just studying everything does not help. Study what is most required. Hard work without smartwork reduces efficiency, gives lesser output. Just studying everything without practising is a total waste. Students think of completing syllabus before writing mocks. This leads to the inability to judge your level of preparedness.
It is significant for you to customize your study plan as per the exam, chalk out the important topics for the respective exam, topics with higher weightage, etc. and focus more on them. Remember, always have the competitors in mind. Also, understand your strengths and weaknesses, polish your strengths and work on weaknesses.
Join a test series :
Writing mocks is the single most important element to achieve success. It is well known that top rank holders appear for a huge number of mocks and analyze their progress. You can easily get all India mock test series at GATEFLIX at affordable prices. Testing yourself against other test takers all over India, gives you the most realistic picture of where you stand.
Once you know the time of the exam, make sure to cultivate a habit of writing mocks at that time interval. It takes about over 21 days to form a new habit. Don’t be accustomed to habits like sleeping or smoking in that time frame.
Having a Right Peer Group:
Studying with peers can help you identify your mistakes in knowledge and strategy. Being with a good peer group leads to healthy competition. Be friends with people who have the same goal as you and are better than you.
Always remember, “If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room”.
Read the newspaper daily. Irrespective of the exam you are preparing for, it will help you in developing knowledge, reading habits and vocabulary. Reading for an hour daily is advisable, with special focus on 5 pages which are front page, editorials, business, international and sports.
Invest and Commit:
Invest in good courses available online/offline. Once you invest your money, it makes you more determined. You should invest in books, notes, test papers, etc.
Stay physically and mentally fit:
A healthy body and a healthy mind will keep you stress-free. Find time for your hobbies and take regular breaks to stay relaxed. Don’t give up your sleep for studying. You may take a talk or workout regularly, whatever keeps calming.
Last but not least, don’t be scared of the competition, you need only one seat.
GATE 2023 Exam Dates (Tentative Schedule)
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website
|Closing of submission of application form||4th week of September 2022|
|Last Date of Extended period for Online Registration
Application (With Late Fees)
|2nd Week Of October, 2022|
|Last date for requesting a change of examination city (an
additional fee will be applicable)
|3rd week of November 2022|
|Admit Card will be available on the Online Application
Portal (for printing)
|1st week of January 2023|
|GATE 2023 Examination||5th to 7th and 12th to 14th February 2023|
|Announcement of Result||3rd week of March 2023|
GATE Exam 2023 Fees
|FOR EXAMINATION CENTRES IN INDIA||APPLICATION FEE||DURING THE EXTENDED PERIOD|
|Female candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|SC/ST/PwD* category candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|All other candidates||Rs. 1500||Rs. 2000|
|For Examination Centers outside India (All Candidates)|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US$ 50||US$ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
GATE 2023 Application Form
The Application form for GATE exam 2023 will be released on the official website around 1st week of September, 2022. Once registering on website, applicants must fill & submit their application at GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS).
Details needed for filling Application form :
- Personal information : Name (As per degree certificate or certificate issue by Institute) , date of birth,mobile number, parents’ name & mobile number
- Address for Communication (including PIN code)
- Eligibility degree details (Along with scanned copy)
- College name and address with PIN code
- Quality image of candidates’ photograph and signature (Photograph 480*640 pxl in Jpeg format with white background)
- Choice of GATE examination cities
- Category (SC/ST) certificate (if applicable) in Pdf format
- Scanned copy of PwD Certificate (if applicable) ,Dyslexic Certificate (if applicable) in Pdf format
- Details of the valid Identity Document (ID)(The same ID, in original, should be carried to the examination hall)
- Net-banking/debit card/credit card details for fee payment
GATE 2023 Eligibility criteria
Before starting the application process, the candidate must ensure that he/she meets the eligibility criteria of GATE 2023 Exam
|QUALIFYING DEGREE||QUALIFYING DEGREE/EXAMINATIONS||ELIGIBILITY|
|B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Pharm.||Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/ Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology)||Currently in the final year or already completed|
|B. Arch.||Bachelor’s degree holders of Architecture (5 years course)/Naval Architecture (4 years course)/Planning (4 years course)||Currently in the final year or already completed|
|B.Sc. (Research)/ B.S.||Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 4th year or already completed|
|Pharm. D. (after 10+2)||Degree holders of 6 years program, consisting of internship or residency training during sixth year||Currently in the 4th/5th/6th year or already completed|
|MBBS||Degree holders of M.B.B.S. and those who are in the 7th/8th/9th semester of such programme.||7th, 8th, 9th or already completed|
|M. Sc./M.A./MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science / Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the final year or already completed|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech. (Post-B.Sc.)||Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering/Technology (4 years program)||Currently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or already completed|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech. or Dual Degree(after Diploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degreeprogram or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology (5 years program)||Currently in the 4th/5th year or already completed|
|Int. M.Sc./ Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or 5 years integrated B.S.-M.S. program||Currently in the final year or already completed|
|Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E./B.Tech./ B.Arch.)||B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/ UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India and so on)||Completed Section A or equivalent of such professional course|
GATE 2023 Admit Card
- The Admit Card for GATE 2023 will be available ONLY on GOAPS website
- Admit card will be available from 1 week of January 2023 (tentative )
- Candidates must bring a print-out of the downloaded Admit Card to the Examination for the verification along with the original and valid photo Identity Document
GATE 2023 Exam Paper Pattern(Tentative)
|Gate Exam | Paper Pattern for Gate 2023|
|Exam Duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Number of Subjects
|Number of Questions||65 No. of Questions
|Total Marks||100 Marks
|Questions Type||There will be three question types:
|Number of sections||GATE 2022 question paper will comprise of total 3 sections except for AR, CY, GG, EY, XL, PH and MA papers :
1) General Aptitude (GA)
2) Engineering Mathematics (for XL papers it is Chemistry)
3) Subject – Specific section
|General Aptitude Section||The GATE paper will also consist of a compulsory General Aptitude (GA) section constituting of 10 questions.
Therefore, the total marks for this section will be 15 marks.
|Marking Scheme||MCQs carrying 1 mark each– 1/3 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer.
MCQs carrying 2 marks – 2/3 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer.
* There is no negative marking for Multiple Select Question (MSQ) & Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions.
GATE 2023 Preparation Tips
GATE Exam is one of the toughest Exams in our country. According to a survey, every year around 9 lacs candidates appear for GATE Exam. Due to this tough competition, one needs to be prepared well for GATE Exam to get an admission in IITs/IISc. However, highest ranking in this exam is also
beneficial for PSU jobs.
GATE Exam aims at rigorous testing of the students’ concepts building and how much they are conceptual sounds in engineering with management skills after graduating. That is why in Gate exam engineering subjects are covering 70% weightage while Aptitude and Maths are covering 15% each
For preparing GATE Examination, one should not get frightened, all he needs to have is advanced planning for preparation and self-confidence. If one should follow his/her plan very perfectly, then no one will stop him/her to get highest rank in GATE Exam.
By following some of the tips and strategy, one can prepare his/her own schedule and work accordingly. So, following are some of the tips one can use for GATE Exam Preparation:
1) Start as early as possible: By beginning the preparation process early, you will be able to plan your studies and check for the materials which you’ll be needed to study. Just by starting the preparation before time, you have won half of the war. This will ensure, that you have get enough
time to strategize and to study the various concepts and topics present in the syllabus. Ensure that no day is wasted out and each and every second is used by its fullest, parallel prioritizing your health and sleep.
2) Get thorough with the Syllabus and Exam Pattern: It is very necessary to go through the Exam Syllabus and Pattern, as your preparation planning will be fully based on these two things. A good understanding of the exam pattern will give an idea about how to go ahead on the path of GATE Exam preparation. It is very essential to know the exam pattern, since GATE has many types of questions and also consists of compulsory sections. The knowledge of the exam pattern will give you a good clarity to the candidates, on how to prepare for GATE 2023.
3) Note the weightage of your strong subjects: Knowledge about the topic distribution in the question paper is a good strategy to be adapted during GATE exam preparation purposes. You can go through the previous year’s question papers to see how the topics and concepts were divided for the examination. By getting a rough idea of the weightage, you can concentrate on those topics which seem to have more questions and distribution more marks in the question paper. Knowing topic-wise distribution is a great way to start your preparation for the examination.
4) Build a Concrete Study Plan: After get familiar with the Exam Pattern and Weightage, it’s time to prepare a thorough study plan. By preparing a study plan, you will be able to equally give your time to an allotted chapter or topic while squeezing in time for mock tests, sample paper practice and also some rest. The following points can be remembered while preparing the study plan:
- Set targets, on daily – weekly and monthly basis.
- Remember to evenly divide topics into difficult, moderate and easy sections.
- Schedule your topics in a way that it doesn’t look too repetitive.
- Give more importance to the topics which have the highest weightage and possibilities of being asked in the exam.
- Make sure you solve enough mock tests and sample papers and also keep a track of all your score checking your graph.
- Break time and its duration should be slotted in a way that you remain fresh even during long study hours.
- Similarly, the following points should be avoided while the study plan is being prepared
- Do not overcrowd a single slot with too many tough or difficult topics, either way round, take only a couple at a time.
- Do not forget to arrange revision time after finishing every single chapter.
- Do not follow anyone else’s schedule. Make your own study plan as it shall fit best to your taste and help you in a better way.
5) Usage of Reference Books is necessary: A lot of books are often named for references by previous year toppers, which would help in GATE preparation. While the textbooks can be used for studying, it is recommended that extra books should also be looked into to give that extra boost and make your concepts strong.
6) Focus on Engineering Mathematics and Aptitude Test: If prepared well, you can score well in these two compulsory sections of GATE paper. Since these two sections are said to constitute of basic topics, you can prepare well and raise your scores. While Mathematics can be studied along the lines of Engineering, the section of general aptitude can be prepared through newspapers and the past papers of other competitive exams such as CAT and more.
7) Revision is the Main Keyword: The most important part of the preparation for GATE Exam 2023, is to do revision on often basis. One should be not under any impression that once the whole syllabus would be complete; revision will be done. It’s completely wrong, one should do revision
after studying any topics or concepts or subjects, so as not to forget what was learned. The revision will aid in the understanding of the topics or concepts and make you more knowledgeable. During revision, it is also advisable to make notes which you can refer later at time of examination. Also, solve last 20 years’ paper and check with solutions to avoid small mistakes. Doing this, contributes majorly in your preparation.
Here are some more tips which can be followed to prepare for GATE 2023:
- Prepare notes in your words after completing each chapter or subjects. Do practice with maximum number of questions as possible on given topic or subjects which will make you perfect. This habits certainly strengthens of your preparations.
- Analyse your preparation. After completing every mock test or solving sample papers, it is important to check and try to correct all of the wrong answers marked by you. This will ensure that you will not wrongly answer the same question next time.
- It is important to take care of your health. Make sure to eat healthy food and to get enough sleep. Lack of sleep will just make it hard for you to study.
- Do not give up on co-curricular activities. It is important to indulge in things other than studies for a while to refresh the mind.
Keep being motivated and focus on your own preparation.
GATE 2023 Expected Cut Off
Below, candidates can check the expected cut off for GATE entrance examination. After released by the official authority we will update the actual cut off marks.
|Electronics and Communication||25||25.8||16.70|
GATE 2023 Syllabus
- Engineering Mathematics :Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential equations, Complex variables, Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods
- Applied Mechanics and Design :Mechanics of Materials, Theory of Machines, Vibrations, Machine Design
- Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences :Fluid Mechanics, Heat-Transfer, Thermodynamics, Applications
- Materials Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering :Engineering Materials, Casting, Forming and Joining Processes, Machining and Machine Tool Operations:, Metrology and Inspection, Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Production Planning and Control, Inventory Control, Operations Research
- Engineering Mathematics : Discrete Mathematics, Linear Algebra, Calculus, Probability
- Computer Science and Information Technology , Digital Logic, Computer Organization and Architecture, Programming and Data Structures , Theory of Computation, Compiler Design, Operating System, Databases, Computer Networks
- Engineering Mathematics :Linear Algebra, Calculus, Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE), Partial Differential Equation (PDE), Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods
- Structural Engineering :Engineering Mechanics, Solid Mechanics, Structural Analysis, Construction Materials and Management, Concrete Structures, Steel Structures
- Geotechnical Engineering :Soil Mechanics, Foundation Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering :Fluid Mechanics, Hydraulics, Hydrology, Irrigation
- Environmental Engineering :Water and Waste Water, Air Pollution, Municipal Solid Wastes Noise Pollution
- Transportation Engineering :Transportation Infrastructure, Highway Pavements, Traffic Engineering
- Geomatics Engineering
Electronics and Communication
- Engineering Mathematics : Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential Equations, Vector Analysis, Complex Analysis, Numerical Methods, Probability and Statistics
- Networks, Signals and Systems : Network solution methods, Continuous-time signals
- Electronic Devices :
- Analog Circuits
- Digital Circuits
- Control Systems
- Engineering Mathematics : Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential equations, Complex variables, Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods, Transform Theory
- Electric Circuits
- Electromagnetic Fields
- Signals and Systems
- Electrical Machines
- Power Systems
- Control Systems
- Electrical and Electronic Measurements
- Power Electronics
- Engineering Mathematics: Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential equations, Analysis of Complex variables, Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods.
- Electrical Circuits
- Signals and Systems
- Control Systems
- Analog Electronics
- Digital Electronics
- Sensors and Industrial Instrumentation
- Communication and Optical Instrumentation
- Engineering Mathematics : Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential equations, Complex variables, Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods
- Process Calculations and Thermodynamics
- Fluid Mechanics and Mechanical Operations
- Heat Transfer
- Mass Transfer
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Instrumentation and Process Control
- Plant Design and Economics
- Chemical Technology
Who is the conducting authority of GATE Exam 2023?
IIT Kanpur is the conducting authority for GATE Exam 2023.
For how many times, I can apply for GATE Exam? Is there any age limit?
There is no age limit criteria for GATE Exam. You can apply and appear as many times as you can.
How do I apply for GATE Exam 2023?
You can visit official website of GOPAS, there you will find application form. By filling application form with the required details, you will be directed to payment gateway. After paying GATE exam fees, your registration for GATE Exam 2023 will be completed. You can then download the pdf of generated application form.
I am from commerce background. Can I apply for GATE Exam 2023?
Yes, as per the new GATE Exam guidelines, not only engineering students but also students with Humanities and Commerce can apply for GATE Exam.
Can foreign students apply for GATE Exam?
Yes, students from Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Ethiopia, and UAE (United Arab Emirates, along with Indian students can apply for GATE Exam 2023.
How many sections will be there in GATE Exam 2023?
There will be three sections in GATE Exam 2023: 1) General Aptitude (15 marks), 2) Engineering Mathematics (13 Marks) and 3) Core Subject (72 Marks).
How many papers a candidate can apply for in GATE Exam?
A candidate can apply for only two (2) out of the 27 papers listed in the GATE Information Brochure or GATE website. A candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree. However, a candidate is free to choose any other paper according to his/her admission plan.
What if I failed to submit GATE 2023 application form within a scheduled period?
If you will not fill application in scheduled time. You will still get a chance to fill GATE 2023 application form in extended period with paying LATE Fees for the same.