Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering – GATE Exam 2022
About GATE 2022
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) exam is an examination which is conducted by seven Indian institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee), IISC on behalf of National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. Every year one of the 7 IITs conducts the GATE Exam.
Which IIT will organize GATE 2022 Exam?
GATE 2022 Exam will be organized by IIT Kharagpur.
Brief About GATE 2022 Exam
GATE Exam 2022, will be conducted by IIT Kharagpur. IIT KGP will release official GATE 2022 notification in month of September, 2021 along with GATE Exam Date, GATE Eligibility, GATE Exam Pattern, and GATE Updated Syllabus.
The GATE 2022 will be held tentatively in the First week of February across various cities. GATE Exam is conducted at national level and roughly 9 Lakh candidates appear for this GATE Exam every year. A simple preparation strategy may not be sufficient, one needs to work smarter to crack GATE 2022 Exam. GATE Score carries a high weightage because all prominent institutes enrolling students, consider GATE Score for their admission process and same is applicable for PSUs (Public Sector Undertakings) process. The GATE 2022 examination is also conducted outside India in countries like Nepal, Singapore, UAE etc. The GATE 2022 examination is a Computer Based Test (CBT).
GATE 2022 Exam Dates (Tentative Schedule)
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website
|Closing of submission of application form||4th week of September 2021|
|Last Date of Extended period for Online Registration &
Application (With Late Fees)
|2nd Week Of October, 2021|
|Last date for requesting a change of examination city (an
additional fee will be applicable)
|3rd week of November 2021|
|Admit Card will be available in the Online Application
Portal (for printing)
|1st week of January 2022|
|GATE 2022 Examination||5th to 7th and 12th to 14th February 2022|
|Announcement of Result||3rd week of March 2022|
GATE Exam 2022 Fees
|FOR EXAMINATION CENTERS IN INDIA||APPLICATION FEE||DURING THE EXTENDED PERIOD|
|Female candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|SC/ST/PwD* category candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|All other candidates||Rs. 1500||Rs. 2000|
|For Examination Centers outside India (All Candidates)|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US$ 50||US$ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
GATE 2022 Application Form
The Application form for GATE exam 2022 will be released on the official website around 1st week of September, 2021. Once registering on website, applicants must fill & submit their application at GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS).
Details needed for filling Application form :
- Personal information : Name (As per degree certificate or certificate issue by Institute) , date of birth,mobile number, parents’ name & mobile number
- Address for Communication (including PIN code)
- Eligibility degree details (Along with scanned copy)
- College name and address with PIN code
- Quality image of candidates’ photograph and signature (Photograph 480*640 pxl in Jpeg format with white background)
- Choice of GATE examination cities
- Category (SC/ST) certificate (if applicable) in Pdf format
- Scanned copy of PwD Certificate (if applicable) ,Dyslexic Certificate (if applicable) in Pdf format
- Details of the valid Identity Document (ID)(The same ID, in original, should be carried to the examination hall)
- Net-banking/debit card/credit card details for fee payment
GATE 2022 Eligibility criteria
Before starting the application process, the candidate must ensure that he/she meets the eligibility criteria of GATE 2022 Exam
|QUALIFYING DEGREE||QUALIFYING DEGREE/EXAMINATIONS||ELIGIBILITY|
|B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Pharm.||Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/ Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology)||Currently in the final year or already completed|
|B. Arch.||Bachelor’s degree holders of Architecture (5 years course)/Naval Architecture (4 years course)/Planning (4 years course)||Currently in the final year or already completed|
|B.Sc. (Research)/ B.S.||Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 4th year or already completed|
|Pharm. D. (after 10+2)||Degree holders of 6 years program, consisting of internship or residency training during sixth year||Currently in the 4th/5th/6th year or already completed|
|MBBS||Degree holders of M.B.B.S. and those who are in the 7th/8th/9th semester of such programme.||7th, 8th, 9th or already completed|
|M. Sc./M.A./MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science / Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the final year or already completed|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech. (Post-B.Sc.)||Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering/Technology (4 years program)||Currently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or already completed|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech. or Dual Degree(after Diploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degreeprogram or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology (5 years program)||Currently in the 4th/5th year or already completed|
|Int. M.Sc./ Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or 5 years integrated B.S.-M.S. program||Currently in the final year or already completed|
|Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E./B.Tech./ B.Arch.)||B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/ UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India and so on)||Completed Section A or equivalent of such professional course|
GATE 2022 Admit Card
- The Admit Card for GATE 2022 will be available on GOAPS website from 1st week of January 2022 tentatively
- Candidates must bring a print-out of Admit Card to the Examination center for the verification along with valid Identity proof
GATE 2022 Exam Paper Pattern(Tentative)
|Gate Exam | Paper Pattern for Gate 2022|
|Exam Duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Number of Subjects
|Number of Questions||
65 No. of Questions of Maximum 100 Marks.
There will be three question types:
|Number of sections||GATE 2022 question paper will comprise of total 3 sections except for AR, CY, GG, EY, XL, PH and MA papers :
1) General Aptitude (GA)
2) Engineering Mathematics (for XL papers it is Chemistry)
3) Subject – Specific section
|General Aptitude Section||
The GATE paper will also consist of a compulsory General Aptitude (GA) section constituting of 10 questions.
Therefore, the total marks for this section will be 15 marks.
|Marking Scheme||MCQs carrying 1 mark each– 1/3 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer.
MCQs carrying 2 marks – 2/3 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer.
* There is no negative marking for Multiple Select Question (MSQ) &
Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions.
GATE Exam Cut Off (Based on Past year papers)
Below, are the GATE Cut Off based on Previous Year Papers. (IIT-wise Cut Off )
|Electronics and Communication||25||25.8||16.70|
GATE 2022 Syllabus
- Engineering Mathematics :Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential equations, Complex variables, Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods
- Applied Mechanics and Design :Mechanics of Materials, Theory of Machines, Vibrations, Machine Design
- Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences :Fluid Mechanics, Heat-Transfer, Thermodynamics, Applications
- Materials Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering :Engineering Materials, Casting, Forming and Joining Processes, Machining and Machine Tool Operations:, Metrology and Inspection, Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Production Planning and Control, Inventory Control, Operations Research
- Engineering Mathematics : Discrete Mathematics, Linear Algebra, Calculus, Probability
- Computer Science and Information Technology , Digital Logic, Computer Organization and Architecture, Programming and Data Structures , Theory of Computation, Compiler Design, Operating System, Databases, Computer Networks
- Engineering Mathematics :Linear Algebra, Calculus, Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE), Partial Differential Equation (PDE), Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods
- Structural Engineering :Engineering Mechanics, Solid Mechanics, Structural Analysis, Construction Materials and Management, Concrete Structures, Steel Structures
- Geotechnical Engineering :Soil Mechanics, Foundation Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering :Fluid Mechanics, Hydraulics, Hydrology, Irrigation
- Environmental Engineering :Water and Waste Water, Air Pollution, Municipal Solid Wastes Noise Pollution
- Transportation Engineering :Transportation Infrastructure, Highway Pavements, Traffic Engineering
- Geomatics Engineering
Electronics and Communication
- Engineering Mathematics : Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential Equations, Vector Analysis, Complex Analysis, Numerical Methods, Probability and Statistics
- Networks, Signals and Systems : Network solution methods, Continuous-time signals
- Electronic Devices :
- Analog Circuits
- Digital Circuits
- Control Systems
- Engineering Mathematics : Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential equations, Complex variables, Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods, Transform Theory
- Electric Circuits
- Electromagnetic Fields
- Signals and Systems
- Electrical Machines
- Power Systems
- Control Systems
- Electrical and Electronic Measurements
- Power Electronics
- Engineering Mathematics: Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential equations, Analysis of Complex variables, Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods.
- Electrical Circuits
- Signals and Systems
- Control Systems
- Analog Electronics
- Digital Electronics
- Sensors and Industrial Instrumentation
- Communication and Optical Instrumentation
- Engineering Mathematics : Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential equations, Complex variables, Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods
- Process Calculations and Thermodynamics
- Fluid Mechanics and Mechanical Operations
- Heat Transfer
- Mass Transfer
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Instrumentation and Process Control
- Plant Design and Economics
- Chemical Technology
GATE 2022 Preparation Tips
GATE Exam is one of the toughest Exam in the country. According to a survey, every year around 9 lakh candidates appear for GATE Exam. Due to tough competition in GATE Exam, one needs to be prepared well to secure an admission in IITs/IISc. Also, a good rank in exam will get you a PSU (Public Sector Undertakings) Jobs.
GATE Exam aims at rigorous testing of the students’ concepts building in Technical and Non-Technical (Aptitude) Skills. The weightage in GATE Exam for Engineering subjects is 70% while that for Aptitude and Maths is 15%.
Preparing for GATE Exam should not be a big worry for students aspiring to get admission in top colleges & PSUs. All they need to have is a proper planning, a great execution, a good mentor and very importantly self-confidence.
Below are some of the tips for GATE 2022 Exam Preparation:
1)Start early: Starting preparing for GATE 2022 Exam in early phase, will help you to plan your studies and a good material, which one needs to have to crack GATE 2022 Exam. Starting early means, half of the battle is won because it will ensure that you will get enough time to manage college studies and gate exam 2022 preparation.
2)Get thorough with the Syllabus and Exam Pattern: It is very necessary to go through the Exam Syllabus and Pattern, as your preparation planning will be completely based on these two things. A good understanding of the exam pattern will give you an idea about how to go ahead on the path of GATE Exam preparation& prepare yourself for GATE 2022 Exam. GATE has many types of questions viz. MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions), MSQs (Multiple Select Questions) and NATs (Numeric Answer Types) and also consists of compulsory areas.
3) Know the weightage of your strong subjects: Knowledge about the topic distribution in the question paper is a good strategy to be adapted as it will help you to know the weightage of strong and weak areas and will help you to prepare accordingly. You can go through the GATE previous year’s question papers to see the weightage of subjects and accordingly you can concentrate on those topics which seem to have more questions and weightage in the question paper.
4) Build a Concrete Study Plan: After get familiar with the Exam Pattern and Weightage, it’s time to prepare a thorough study plan. By preparing a study plan, you will be able to equally give your time to an allotted chapter or topic while squeezing in time for mock tests, sample paper practice and also some rest. The following points can be remembered while preparing the study plan:
- Set targets, on daily – weekly and monthly basis.
- Remember to evenly divide topics into difficult, moderate and easy sections.
- Schedule your topics in a way that it doesn’t look too repetitive.
- Give more importance to the topics which have the highest weightage and possibilities of being asked in the exam.
- Make sure you solve enough mock tests and sample papers and also keep a track of all your score checking your graph.
- Break time and its duration should be slotted in a way that you remain fresh even during long study hours.
Similarly, the following points should be avoided while the study plan is being prepared
- Do not overcrowd a single slot with too many tough or difficult topics, either way round, take only a couple at a time.
- Do not forget to arrange revision time after finishing every single chapter.
- Do not follow anyone else’s schedule. Make your own study plan as it shall fit best to your taste and help you in a better way.
5)Usage of Reference Books is necessary: A lot of books are often named for references by previous year toppers, which would help in GATE preparation. While the textbooks can be used for studying, it is recommended that extra books should also be looked into to give that extra boost and make your concepts strong.
6) Focus on Engineering Mathematics and Aptitude Test: If prepared well, you can score well in these two compulsory sections of GATE paper. Since these two sections are said to constitute of basic topics, you can prepare well and raise your scores. While Mathematics can be studied along the lines of Engineering, the section of general aptitude can be prepared through newspapers and the past papers of other competitive exams such as CAT and more.
7) Revision is the Main Keyword:The most important part of the preparation for GATE Exam 2022, is to do revision on often basis. One should be not under any impression that once the whole syllabus would be complete; revision will be done. It’s completely wrong, one should do revision after studying any topics or concepts or subjects, so as not to forget what was learned. The revision will aid in the understanding of the topics or concepts and make you more knowledgeable. During revision, it is also advisable to make notes which you can refer later at time of examination. Also, solve last 20 years’ paper and check with solutions to avoid small mistakes. Doing this, contributes majorly in your preparation.
Here are some more tips which can be followed to prepare for GATE 2022:
- Prepare notes in your words after completing each chapter or subjects. Do practice with maximum number of questions as possible on given topic or subjects which will make you perfect. This habits certainly strengthens of your preparations.
- Analyse your preparation. After completing every mock test or solving sample papers, it is important to check and try to correct all of the wrong answers marked by you. This will ensure that you will not wrongly answer the same question next time.
- It is important to take care of your health. Make sure to eat healthy food and to get enough sleep. Lack of sleep will just make it hard for you to study.
- Do not give up on co-curricular activities. It is important to indulge in things other than studies for a while to refresh the mind.
Keep being motivated and focus on your own preparation.
I am in a 2nd year of B.Tech, so can I appear for GATE Exam 2022?
Yes, according to new GATE Exam Eligibility Criteria, 3rd year students can also appear for GATE Exam.
Who is the conducting authority of GATE Exam 2022?
IIT Kharagpur is the conducting authority for GATE Exam 2022.
How do I apply for GATE Exam 2022?
You can visit official website of GOPAS, where you will find application form. By filling application form with the required details, you will be directed to payment gateway. After paying GATE exam fees, your registration for GATE Exam 2022 will be completed. You can then download the pdf of generated application form.
I have passed my B. tech with 50%. Am I eligible for GATE Exam 2022?
Yes, you can apply for GATE exam 2022. But you will not be able to apply IITs and some of the PSU jobs as they have admission criteria of 60% or more.
When will I receive my Admit Card?
GOPAS officials will make admit card available in first week of January, 2022. You can download and print admit card.
What are the items allowed in examination hall?
Admit Card, Valid Proof ID and a Pen will only be allowed inside the GATE examination hall.
What types of question will be asked in GATE Exam 2022?
There are three types of questions: MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions), MSQ (Multiple select Questions) and NAT (Numerical Answer Type) Questions.
How many questions of General Aptitude will be asked?
There are total 65 questions. Out of these 65 questions, only 10 questions will be of General Aptitude, rest 55 will be of Engineering mathematics and other core subjects.
What details will be required to fill GATE 2022 application form?
You will require to fill personal information, Address, Eligibility degree details, College name and address, quality photograph of yours, exam centre (city) preference, category certificate, PwD certificate (if applicable), valid identity documents for GATE 2022 application form.
What is the fees for GATE exam 2022?
Fees for Female candidates and ST/SC/PwD is ₹ 750, and for other candidates it is ₹1500.